The WPTA Academic Liaison Committee started a mentorship program for students in 2013 and are excited to announce we will be offering this program again this year! Below are the details, including the application process:
One year-long Mentorship (Offered to a 2nd year SPT)
• The mentee will be matched with a mentor who is in a leadership role within the WPTA, practices in the area that the mentee is interested in working in and is in the same geographical area.
• The program/relationship will be tailor fit to what the mentor/mentee discuss and decide. This will be an amazing opportunity for a motivated student to take and mold the mentorship experience that is ideal for the individual. This program format will allow the student and mentor to dictate the time/effort needed to achieve their goals. - i.e. monthly meetings, shadowing, phone calls, case studies, attending conferences together, attending a board meeting etc.
Three WPTA Fall Conference Mentorships (All SPT and SPTA Student Eligible)
• The mentees will be matched with mentors who are in leadership roles within the WPTA and practice within the mentee's area of interest.
• Mentees/mentors will attend the Fall Conference together. This program will also be fluid and can be tailor fit to the mentee/mentor. The general idea is to interact as much as possible i.e. attend classes together, go to lunch, meet informally in the evening, possibly attend the business meeting together, etc.
All you need to do to apply is just write a concise essay (no more than 500 words) answering two questions:
1. What is your recent history of involvement in your undergrad and/or PT program, community, church, job, etc.?
2. What would they like to gain from this mentorship?
3. ADDITIONAL QUESTION FOR YEAR LONG MENTORSHIP: What is the ideal structure of communication between you and your mentor? (How would like the relationship/program to be structured? -i.e monthly meetings, phone calls, etc.)
The essays are due at 5pm on Friday, September, 18th. The mentee’s will be chosen within one week of this deadline.
Please email essays in a Word Document to firstname.lastname@example.org, be sure to include your contact info including:
Erik Gregersen, PT, DPT, OCS, CSCS
WPTA Academic Liaison Committee Chair
Join WPTSN Facebook Group!
The purpose of the Wisconsin Physical Therapy Student Network (WPTSN) is to:
WPTSN Member 3 Duties:
Any questions please contact the Core Ambassador or Core Ambassador Elect.
The mission of the WPTSN Superstars program is to recognize students who are doing exceptional work that may otherwise go unnoticed. This program provides the opportunity for professionals, professors or fellow classmates to show admiration for the effort and work that students are doing. All you need to do to nominate a student is click on the link below and fill out the survey (if you choose you can remain anonymous). The Superstars nominated will be notified that they were recognized and be provided with their nomination.
The WPTA Student Scoop is a monthly source for information and opportunities for SPTs and SPTAs in WI. The Scoop also spotlights the incredible things that all the PT/PTA programs are doing in WI. All students and professionals have the opportunity to have an article in the Scoop. Please contact the Core Ambassador at email@example.com with any feedback or ideas for future stories.